The Lenni-Lenape Indians, a branch of the Delawares (part of the Algonquin Nation) were the first known inhabitants of the Bernards Township area. Scattered throughout are traces of these people: arrowheads, tomahawks, hearthstones, hammerheads, and camp rubble, which indicate long occupation. One of the most widely used Indian areas was near Madisonville Road --a major camp site was the present AT&T location on North Maple Avenue. A burial ground is known to have existed on the east side of Childs Road on the hillside across from the Indian Graves Brook.
The area was purchased by John Harrison, agent of King James III of England, from Chief Nowenoik of the Lenapes in 1717, a real estate package of 3,000 acres for $50. The remainder of the Township's land was bought later that year by William Penn. Early settlers were Scotch, Irish, and English. Harrison's Purchase or Harrison's Neck was the property's designation. In 1733 the name Basking Rodge first appeared in ecclesiastic records of the Presbyterian Church andis recorded as being derived from the fact that "the wild animals of the adjacent lowlands were accustomed to bask in the warm sun of this beautiful ridge". Baskeridge and Baskenridge were commonly used.
By 1740 a list of settlers included names as Alward, Annin, Conkling, Cross, Dayton, and Lewis. At the time of the American Revolution, as many as 100 men from Bernards answered the call to arms. Revolutionary troops came from Bound Brook through Annin's Corner and Basking Ridge en route to Morristown. During this time, a liberty pole was placed on the village green, with Annin's Corner renamed Liberty Corner. Basking Ridge was thought to be a secure place from the British Army as it was only seven miles away from the center of Washington's army at Jockey Hollow. General Charles lee, second in command, was captured by British forces at the Widow White's Tavern in December, 1776. (This is at the corner of Colonial Drive and South Finley Avenue.) A local street, Old Army Road, ws so named because it was the path trod through the country from Jockey Hollow to the Vealtown Tavern in Bernardsville by American troops.
In 1750 a classical school, designed to prepare young men for college, was established in Basking Ridge by Dr. Samuel Kennedy, fourth pastor of the Presbyterian Church, and later run by Dr. Robert Finley. The school, known as the Basking Ridge Classical School for almost 50 years, was conducted in the ministers' homes. Through contributions and partly at Dr. Finley's expense, the Brick Academy was built in 1809. Pupils came from many other states, as well as New Jersey, presidents provided lodgings. The Academy was known as having contributed more men "to the bench, the bar, and the pulpit." Students entered their junior year at the College of New Jersey (Princeton University). Among the Academy students were Samuel Southard, governor of New Jersey, U.S. Senate president and acting vice-resident under President Tyller; William Lewis Dayton, vice-presidential candidate with JohnC. Fremont in 1856, and President Lincoln's Minister to France during the Civil War; Robert Field Stockton, hero of the Mexican War; Theoodore Frelinghuysen, president of Rutgers College and vice-presidential candidate with Henry Clay in 1844.
Land Area: 25 square miles
Population: Approximately 25,800
Settled by the Scotch, Irish and English, Bernardsville was originally a section of Bernards Township know as Vealtown. In 1840, Vealtown became Bernardsville, named after Sir Francis Bernard, colonial governor of New Jersey from 1758 to 1760. Nestled in the northern most part of Soberest County, just 12 miles south of Morristown New Jersey, this rustic community sits in some of the last vestiges of the Great Eastern Forest.
After the Civil War, many wealthy and prominent New Yorkers moved into the area, first as summer visitors, then as permanent residents. The railroad line was built through Bernardsville in 1872 by one resident who felt he was 'too important to ride in a horse drawn carriage to Summit to catch the train'. It has played an important role in the town's development.
James Pitney is credited with being one of the earliest permanent settlers in the area. Records show that by 1730, he owned and sold land, a tract of 123 acres beginning about a mile southwest of the present Bernardsville and stretching northwest. This small community also dates its history to before the Revolution with a small building that now houses the Bernardsville Library. This building was known as the Vealtown Tavern where colonists and Tories alike used to quench their thirst. When George Washington's army was camped in Jockey hollow during the winter of 1777, they cut a road through the Somerset hills from Mendham to Vealtown so that they could reach the tavern and "stave off the winter cold'. The execution of a young militiaman near the tavern drove the daughter o the tavern owner to madness (she was in love with the young man). There are some who say that Phyllis can still be seen in he Library on late evenings still looking for her lover.
Land Area: 12.85 square miles
Population: Approximately 6,675 residents
In the late 1720's Chatham's earliest settlers, most of whom came from New England, built their dwellings along the banks of the Passaic River where the Lenape's Minisink Trail had crossed. By, 1773 they had built some thirty plain wood houses, taverns, stores, and blacksmiths' shops, plus a gristmill and sawmill all clustered near the Passaic Bridge. The town's most important concentration of early building is situated along the historic eastern end of Main Street. Though most of these structures were altered over the years, they still retain their eighteenth-century character.
Not until 1773 did the settlement find the need for a distinctive name. Residents chose "Chatham" in the honor of William Pitt, the outspoken Earl of Chatham who had opposed the unfair taxation levied on the Colonies.
That early revolutionary spirit foreshowed Chatham's active role in the War. Over half the community's fifty-five men served in the military. Local households provided food and shelter to nearby troops. In Chatham, patriot editor Shepard Kollack published his newspaper, the New Jersey Journal, a leading voice in support of independence. Toward the end of the war, Washington made Chatham his temporary headquarters. In August 1781 he spent several nights here planning final military maneuvers that would culminate in the American victory at Yorktown.
Chatham's nineteenth-century fortunes were assured when the town's main street became part of the Morris Turnpike in 1804. The arrival of the railroad followed in 1837. Brick making and coal freighting offered employment, but as those industries eventually faded villagers turned to other livelihoods. Some took up greenhouse rose growing; others kept resorts and boarding houses.
Seceding from Chatham Township in 1892, Chatham Borough was incorporated in 1897. The town quickly engineered much-needed public improvements, and many "resorters" decided to become permanent residents. They initiated the town's twentieth-century role as a classic commuter-surban town by building grandly eclectic houses along upper Fairmount Avenue, one of Chatham's most architecturally notable streets.
Chatham has remained a small town with a pleasant environment. The architectural integrity of the Borough's attractive residential neighborhoods has survived remarkably intact. The Main Street, with its diversity of historic buildings, imparts a special character the Borough that appeals to residents and visitor alike.
Chatham Borough Historical Society.
Chatham Borough as a picturesque suburban community noted for its tree-lined streets, Colonial and Victorian architecture and neatly manicured lawns. The borough was a resting spot for George Washington. It has an active and poplar small town Main Street shopping area and is near the Mall at Short Hills in Millburn. Commuters to New York and areas in New Jersey delight in the Boroughs easy access to all major commute routes and the train.
LAND AREA: Approximately 2.3 miles
POPULATION: 8,460 (2000)
While there were no Battles of the American Revolution fought on Chatham Township soil, troop movement within and across the boundaries was constant. Markers in Green Village show that George Washington returned to Morristown via that route from the great victory at Princeton.
Where Treadwell Avenue ends at Woodland Road, the Loantaka Encampment of the Continental Army existed during the same period of similar camps at Jockey Hollow and other areas surrounding Morristown, the seat of Washington's headquarter.
History of Noe Pond
Louis Mulford Noe was the nation's largest producer of the American Beauty Rose, right in Chatham Township. He may have been the County's largest employer at that time, in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
Noe Pond, now the location of the Noe Swim Club, was the source for ice used by Mr. Noe at his Noe Farm. It was used for the dairy business and perhaps for his rose business as well.
It was an occasion when the ice cutting took place, to be stored in sawdust in the old Red Ice House. And as soon as that piece of necessary business was over, the children knew that for the rest of the winter the pond was theirs for skating.
Chatham Township is a residential community of fine homes, townhouses developments and garden apartments that offers suburban attractiveness as well as efficient commuting to New York City and surrounding metropolitan New Jersey.
There are excellent shopping facilities at nearby retail malls in Livingston, Short Hills, Summit, Morristown and locally.
Cultural opportunities include historical, art, garden, and musical groups, as well as the facilities and programs of neighboring Drew and Fairleigh Dickinson Universities.
POPULATION: 10,086 (2000)
HISTORY: Incorporated May 9, 1922
In 1727 one John Lindsley acquired a 1250 acre tract of land which marked the center geographically and politically of the area that was to become Harding Township two centuries later. Harding Township was one of the last municipalities formed in Morris County separating from Passaic Township in 1922, but its lands where some of the first to be settled. The 18th century inhabitants were English or New England born and their houses reflected those building traditions. During the Revolutionary War, Washington's troops encamped at Jockey Hollow during the bitter winter of 1779-80. By the end of the 19th century, the unspoiled rural area became the site of numerous magnificent estates. Harding was named by its republican founder for the then President, Warren G. Harding.
Development was kept to a minimum for the next 50 years. Numerous historical buildings are still evident in the gentle, rolling hills of this picturesque community. The township is also noted for its bridle paths and horse farms. On the west and south, Harding includes most of the acreage found in the Great Swamp Wildlife Refuge. Also located within the township's limits are portions of two Morris County Parks, a year round lake community and a lake for resident skating in winter.
Harding Township is a picturesque community with gentle rolling hills and numerous estates. It is about 30% undeveloped and is approximately 25 miles west of Manhatten.
LAND AREA: 20.5 square miles
POPULATION: 3,640 approx.
Early in the 18th century, only the most adventurous pioneers crossed the Watchung Mountains to settle in the area known as Canoe Brook. The area was named for the stream found behind today's Town Hall. The Lenni Lenape Indians once assembled their canoes along the banks of the brook.
In 1702 the settlers of Newark paid 130 English pounds to purchase the land that comprises today's Livingston, Caldwell, and West Essex.
Livingston was formed seven Hamlets. The hamlet of Northfield is marked by the present-day Northfield Center, and the Hamlet of Squiretown can be identified by the school on Old Road, Formerly known as Squiretown School. Teedtown is the present-day Livingston Center, and Morehousetown is now the site of the Route 10 traffic circle. Cheapside was located near South Orange Avenue and Passaic Avenues, and Centerville was the present-day Roseland.
These seven Hamlets were incorporated as the Township of Livingston in 1813, named for William Livingston, the first Governor of New Jersey.
From the industrial times as a manufacturing center for brooms and hats, Livingston has evolved into a well-balanced residential community. Abundant office space and large commercial areas including the Livingston Mall.
LAND AREA: 13.75 square miles
Long Hill Township
HISTORY: March 23, 1866
Before the township was established in 1866, this southern portion of Morris Township was a sparsely settled agricultural area. In the 18th Century, a series of mills along the Passaic River gave the Village of Millington its name. Long Hill road began as an Indian trail along the ridge of the prominent hill. In the 18th and early 19th Centuries, it was a stagecoach route - east/west across the township. Modest development began after 1871 when the West Line Railroad, a spur of the Erie-Lackawanna, was opened from Summit to Bernardsville. Stirling was created at this time as a company town - The Stirling Silk Manufacturing company in 1896. Small frame cottages were constructed for workers, many of whom were immigrants from Southern Europe. Long Hill Township still retains plenty of open space. The environmental concerns for the Passaic watershed and the Great Swamp have preserved some of the open space and settings for surviving historic homes.
Long Hill Township is an expanding residential area which maintains much of its rural charm. About 50% of its area remains undeveloped and a haven for wildlife.
LAND AREA: 12.1 square miles
POPULATION: 8,777 approximately
First settled in the early 18th century and called Bottle Hill, the town was named Madison in 1834 to honor the 4th president of the United States. With the coming of the railroad in 1837, local businesses, especially the rose industry were able to ship products to markets in New Jersey and New York. Known as the "Rose City", Madison became famous for the roses it produced from the 1860's until the mid 1950's when homes began replacing greenhouses. The Morris and Essex Railroad, one of the country's first commuter railroads attracted well-to-do families in the early part of the 20th century. These benefactors contributed to Madison's architecture, culture and open spaces by donating land for parks, the first public library, the YMCA and the Hartley Dodge Memorial Building which serves as Madison's Borough Hall.
Madison's broad tree lined streets still reflect the colonial characteristics of its early development. It is an affluent residential community that has become a haven for executives and business people who take advantage of the excellent train services to New York City.
LAND AREA: 4.19 square miles
SINGLE FAMILY RESALE REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES:
Certificate of Continued Occupancy - is required
Include Certificates and Fees ? one family - $40, two family - $80, three family - $120
Fire alarm requirements, Carbon monoxide alarm requirements
Going back to origins of the 17th century
Close in suburban, socially and economically diverse
LAND AREA: 3.85 square miles
Public Schools ? School District of South Orange and Maplewood 973-762-5600
Parochial Schools ? St. Joseph?s, 240 Franklin Avenue, 973-761-4033
LIBRARY: 51 Baker Street, 973-762-1622
SOCIAL & CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS:
Women and Junior Women?s Club (60 Woodland Road)
Maplewood Civic Association
League of Women Voters
YMCA (10 West Parker Avenue)
SENIOR CITIZEN GROUPS:
Maplewood Senior Citizens ? 973-763-0750
Memorial Park, Maplecrest Park, De Hart Park, Borden Park, Orchard Park, Walter Park, Maplewood Garden Club, Historic House, Durand-Hedden, House and Garden Association, Boy Scouts, Aviva Hadassah, Aviva, Jersey Animal Coalition, Strollers Theater Group, Arts Maplewood
HOUSES OF WORSHIP:
Ethical Culture Society, 516 Prospect Street, 973-763-1905
Maplewood Bible Chapel, 127 Burnett Avenue, 973-761-6430
St. George?s Episcopal Church, 550 Ridgewood Road, 973-762-1319
Hilton United Methodist, 285-Boyden Avenue, 973-761-5744
Morrow Memorial Methodist, 600 Ridgewood Avenue, 973-763-7676
Prospect Presbyterian Church, 646 Prospect Street, 973-763-2090
Asian Indian Christian Church, 527 Prospect Street, 973-378-8711
Calvary Reform Church, 527 Prospect Street, 973-762-2366
Immaculate Heart of Mary, 280 Parker Avenue, 973-763-5019
St. Joseph?s, 767 Prospect Street, 973-761-5933
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Holy Ascension, 652 Irvington Avenue, 973-763-7644
160 Maplewood Avenue, 07040, 973-763-4950
Maplecrest Station, 1767 Springfield Avenue, 973-761-6788
Bus: 107, 25, 31
Rail: NJ Transit
Road: Route 78, NJ Turnpike, Garden State Parkway
Millburn is Scottish means 'mill on a stream". Native Indians and early settlers called the area surrounding the tiny New Jersey colonial settlement "the Short hills." Thus the township received its name.
Long before the first Dutch immigrants arrived in the 1600s, the Lenape Indians lived and hunted here. By 1700 the English had arrived and contributed the names of Parkkhurst, Parsil, Denman, Briant, Reeve, Wade, Baldwin, Ross, Meeker and Morehouse to the landscape. By 1764 the community numbered more than 60 landowners.
Until 1857 the settlement had no individual identity but was part of the City of Springfield. During the Revolutionary War the British and Colonial forces marched back and forth across the local settlement, climaxing the confrontations with the famous Battle of Springfield, which halted the British army's advance into Northern New Jersey.
After the war ended Samuel Campbell arrived here from Scotland and built the first paper mill. More industrialists followed and soon mills were manufacturing felt hats as well as paper.
When the township was created through an act of the New Jersey legislature in 1857 the name Millburn was chosen by its residents in honor of Mr. Campbell's contribution to the community.
By then the railroad already was a vital part of the community life. The Morris and Essex, a predecessor of the Delaware. Lackawanna and Western and N.J. Transit, came through in 1837. Not only did train service brighten the future of the community as a commercial center, but it also added to its desirability as a residential suburb for prosperous Newarkers and New Yorkers.
Shortly after 1870 Stewart Hartshorn, inventor of the roller window shade, decided to make his home here and to enter the real estate business and establish an ideal community. He purchased and developed much of the "short hills" area and adopted the Indians' name for his community.
About the same time the Wyoming Land Development Co. purchased large tracts of land in Northeastern Millburn and laid out a grid of streets. The development company ,however, built only 25 houses before it went bankrupt.
By the time the town celebrated its semi-centennial in 1907 it boasted fire and police departments, running water, electricity, telephones and a sewer system.
As population of the township grew, more large private land areas and farms were purchased by developers. The Whittingham family estate was transformed into South Mountain Estates and the Campbell acreage became Glenwood.
After World War II the township's population experienced a second surge, not only in residents, but in businesses, Supermarkets, insurance companies, some small industries and the Mall at Short Hills became integral parts of the community.
LAND AREA 10 Square miles
TOWNSHIP OF MORRIS
Morris Township is a residential community and one of the most affluent areas in Morris County. It is an area with long roots in the past. During the winters of 1777 and a779-80, George Washington's Continental Army camped in the deep snows of Jockey Hollow, now part of the National Parks system. Today, the Township offers its residents a pleasing mix of home sites which range from new sub-divisions to spacious older homes on tree lined streets to picturesque dwellings built in colonial times. In addition, there are attractive condominium complexes.
Morris Township is located approximately 25 miles west of New York City.
Morris Township has an area of 15.3 square miles.
The population of the Township is approximately 21,791.
TOWNSHIP OF MORRISTOWN
Morristown is Morris County's most famous municipality. Its history is part of the rich heritage of our country. The town and the region are known for their important role in the American revolution. During the winter of 1779 and on several other occasions, General Washington headquartered at the beautiful Ford Mansion, now a National Historic Park and Museum. Revolutionary soldiers spent the long winter of camped at nearby Jockey Hollow.
Morristown has undergone extensive renewal and expansion in recent years. In the downtown area, Headquarters Plaza offers a health club, shopping mall and office buildings: a bridge between old and new.
Morristown is located approximately 25 miles west of New York City.
Morristown is 2.94 square miles.
The population is approximately 17,500.
In the days before Mountainside became a borough with its own government it was part of the Township of Elizabethtown, which was organized in1693, covered a wide area, and included the West Fields. The Locust Grove, Branch Mills, and Baltrusol sections of the West Fields, rural communities composed mostly of farmers, later became Mountainside.
The Dutch preceded the English in some areas of New Jersey, but the majority of settlers here were English.The Borough of Mountainside celebrated it's Centennial in 1995 in recognition of it's separation from the Town of Westfield on October 22,1895.
Mountainside Borough is an attractive, residential community featuring an abundance of trees and hilly terrain that bear witness to its name. Single-Family homes dominate the housing scene, most of which are beautiful, well-kept older homes on expansive lots.
The downtown retail center is small and augmented by several major malls within a 10 minute drive. The residents of Mountainside enjoy good highway access to amenities in surrounding urban centers. Nearby recreational attractions enhance the allure to the pleasant community.
LAND AREA: Covering 4.1 square miles.
The Passaic Valley was the first settled around 1783 by settlers from Long Island and the United Kingdom. According to local tradition, the name of the region was changed from "Turkey" to "New Providence" in 1778 when the balcony of a small church collapsed without causing serious injury. In 1809, New Providence Township was established, then incorporated as the Borough of New Providence in 1899. 1950-1970 saw radical changes in the town's character as suburbanization consumed the open countryside, spurred by the growth of the New York metropolitan area and the establishment of suburban corporate headquarters in the Passaic Valley.
With the luxury of two train stations, the borough of New Providence, is the quintessential bedroom community. This community of large residences in colonial and Tudor styles, small - lot subdivisions and apartment complexes surrounds a downtown which offers a variety of shopping, services and restaurants. Several malls are within ten minutes if this serene community.
LAND AREA: (3.7 square miles approximately)
POPULATION: 11,439 (1990 Census figures)
SINGLE FAMILY RESALE REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES:
Certificate of Occupancy (C.O.) inspections is required for all re-sales and rentals. Inspections should be scheduled as soon as possible as the C.O. must be brought to the closing and there are frequently repairs and paperwork that take time to accomplish.
Go to the Department of Community Services, Second Floor of City Hall, 908-273-6408. They accept C.O. applications Monday ? Friday, 8:30 am ? 4:30 pm (beginning the Friday before July 4 and ending the Friday before Labor Day, Friday Summer Hours are 8:00 am ? 1:00 pm). Complete an application, make a check in the amount indicated on the form, payable to The City of Summit. You will then schedule an appointment for the inspection (held Tuesday and will then schedule an appointment for the inspection (held Tuesday and Thursday mornings). Someone must be present at the location for the inspection.
The Inspector makes a thorough inspection, including the following:
1. Securely mounted, properly working smoke detectors. *Certification of
Operation required if smoke detectors are monitored by safety/security
2. Sump pump must not discharge into sanitary sewer.
3. Vent Connectors at Furnace/boiler/water heater must be properly
4. Correct size discharge pipe on water heater and/or boiler safety valve must
reach within 6? of the floor
5. Handrails are required on at least one side of the stairway(s) at the
basement / 1st; 1st / 2nd; 2nd / 3rd floor(s) and / or attic if stairs have three
or more risers. Handrail(s) shall be located between 30? and 38? above
stair tread nosing and shall have a minimum of 1 ?? clearance space to
6. Guardrails are required on the open side(s) of the basement / 1st; 1st /
2nd; 2nd / 3rd floor and or attic stairs / landings. Guardrails shall be solid
or have vertical balusters with a 4? maximum opening. Guards shall not
have an ornamental pattern that would provide a ladder effect.
7. Zoning violations and / or building, plumbing, electrical violations and / or
9. Curbs and / or driveway apron
Where not to locate detectors: to avoid false alarms and / or improper operation, avoid installation of smoke detectors in the following areas:
Kitchens ? smoke from cooking may cause a nuisance alarm
Bathrooms ? excessive steam from a shower may cause a nuisance alarm
Near forced air ducts ? used for heating or air conditioning ? air movement may prevent smoke from reaching detector
Near furnaces of any type ? air and dust movement and normal combustion products may cause a nuisance alarm
The 4-inch ?Dead Air? space where the ceiling meets the wall
The peak of an ?A? frame type of ceiling ? ?Dead Air? at the top may prevent smoke from reaching detector
Further information about detector placement may be obtained from the Building Department.
If the property is compliant, a Certification of Smoke Detector Compliance will be issued by the Building Department. Otherwise, you must correct the condition(s) and reschedule another visit prior to closing. Re-inspections are scheduled Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons, 4:15 pm ? 6:00 pm.
The Leni-Lenape Indians were the area?s first settlers, followed by the Dutch in the early1600?and the English
in 1664. During the Revolutionary War, Summit was reportedly the site of a ?beacon fire? used to signal
George Washington and the American Troops of the movements of the British forces. Named in 1837 and established
as a township in 1869, Summit?s mid-19th century claim to fame was as a resort. Many New Yorkers took the train out
to the ?country?, as the higher elevations at the summit promised far cooler summer. Summit developed rapidly after the
Civil War, as more New York Commuters established homes in a community which retains to this day its winding, tree-
lined streets, wooded properties, gracious homes and a business center that reminds one of ?hometown Main Street,
Incorporated in 1899, the Town of Summit is situated in New Jersey?s second Watchung Mountain, overlooking the State of New Jersey from a 450? elevation at its tri-county corner. Its site is one of the highest points within a 25 ? mile radius west of New York City, affording excellent views of that skyline. Today, Summit is home to people of many social, economic and ethnic backgrounds who have found in Summit a stimulating, heterogeneous, suburban environment.
LAND AREA: 6.1 square miles approximately
POPULATION: 19,750 (1990 Census figures)
K to 5
Brayton (89 Tulip St.), 908-273-1276
Franklin (136 Blackburn Rd.), 908-277-2613
Jefferson (110 Ashwood Rd.), 908-273-3807
Lincoln-Hubbard (52 Woodland Ave.), 908-273-1333
Washington (507 Morris Ave.), 908-273-0817
6 ? 8
Summit Middle School (272 Morris Ave.), 908-273-1190
9 ? 12
Summit High School (125 Kent Place Blvd.), 908-273-1494
Kent Place School (42 Norwood Ave.), 908-273-0900
Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child (44 Blackburn Rd.), 908-522-8100
Oratory Prep (1 Beverly Road) 908-273-1084
LIBRARY: Summit Free Public Library (75 Maple St.), 908-273-0350
SOCIAL & CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS:
Business and Professional Women
Chamber of Commerce
Elks, Benevolent and Protective Order of
Fortnightly Club / Junior Fortnightly Club
Friends of the Library
Johnson Youth Center
Junior League of Summit
Knights of Columbus
League of Women Voters
New Jersey Center for Visual Arts
Old Guard of Summit
Playhouse Association of Summit
Police Athletic League
Reeves Reed Arboretum
Resource Center for Women
Rotary Club of Summit and New Providence
Stony Hill Players
Summit Area Community School
Summit Area Red Cross
Summit Area YMCA
Summit College Club (AAUW)
Summit Garden Club
Summit Historic Preservation Commission
Summit Historical Society
Summit Lions Club
The Connection for Women, Children and Families (formerly YWCA)
Welcome Wagon?s Newcomers? Club
SENIOR CITIZEN GROUPS:
AARP, Summit Area
Overlook Hospital, Senior Contact (programs, trips, etc.)
S.A.G.E. (Summit Association for Gerontological Endeavor) (Companion Service, Home Health Aides, Meals-On-Wheels, Spend-A-Day, etc.)
Senior Citizen Housing, Busy Bees (projects for the needy; cards & bingo)
Senior Connections (transportation)
Summit Board of Recreation, Golden Age Program (crafts, games, trips)
Beacon Hill Club (a private club with ice rink, tennis and paddle courts, swimming pool, bowling alleys)
Canoe Brook Country Club ( a private club with golf course, tennis and paddle Courts, swimming pool)
Summit Board of Recreation, 908-277-4119 (Recreation Center, parks, etc.)
Summit Community Swimming Pool
Summit Ice Hockey Association
Summit Junior Baseball, Inc.
Summit Lacrosse Club
Summit Municipal Golf Course, 908-277-6828
Watchung Stables, Mountainside, 908-789-3665
HOUSES OF WORSHIP:
Calvary Episcopal Church, Woodland Ave., 908-277-1814
Central Presbyterian Church, Maple St., 908-273-0441
Christ Church, Springfield Ave., 908-273-5549
First Church of Christ Scientist, Springfield Ave., 908-273-1820
Fountain Baptist Church, Glenside Ave, 908-273-1199
Jewish Community Center, Kent Place Blvd., 908-273-8130
Mt. Olive Temple of the United Holy Church of America, Inc., 908-273-4181
Pilgrim Baptist Church, Morris Ave., 908-273-2704
St. John?s Lutheran Church, Springfield Ave., 908-273-3846
St. Theresa?s Roman Catholic Church, Morris Ave., 908-277-3700
Temple Sinai of Summit, Summit Ave., 908-273-4921
Unitarian Church in Summit, Springfield Ave., 908-273-3245
United Methodist Church of Summit, Kent Place Blvd., 908-277-1700
Wallace Chapel AME Zion Church, Broad St., 908-277-0574
POST OFFICE: 61 Maple St., 908-277-1737
Camptown Bus Lines 201-242-6100
New Jersey Transit 800-772-2222
Lakeland Bus Lines 201-366-0600
New Jersey Transit, Summit Station. For schedules and fare information for Wheels, a van service between the Summit train station and various employers, call New Jersey Transit at 800-772-2222
Road: Routes I-78 and 24; connect to Parkway, Turnpike and I-287
HISTORY: WARREN TWP.
Stretches from the crest of the first Watchung Mountain across Washington Valley to the second mountain and beyond, ending at the Dead and Passaic Rivers. Thousands of ears before the Europeans came the Lenape Indians roamed these parts but left little history. In l806 Warren Twp. Was created from portions of Bernards and Bridgewater. It was named after Major General Joseph Warren a hero of the Battle of Bunker Hill. The principal industries were logging, fruit and grain raising and dairy farming. Warren was a crossroads for travelers between Pennsylvania and East Jersey.
WARREN TOWNSHIP is now a suburban community of single family homes on one acre lots or more, close to major highways for excellent commuting. The township of Warren is in the South East section of Somerset County.
LAND AREA: 19.3 (square miles approximately)
POPULATION: 12,700 (approximately)
Watchung, which means "High Place", is believed to have been given to the area by the Lenape Indians. Legend has it that Indians traveled through the area every spring on the same trail for their summer trip to the ocean to fish. The Dutch settled in Watchung, which is between the two ridges of the rocky Watchung Mountains. The settlers came to this region because of the rich soil. They continued to farm the land and it became a well known agricultural area. During the l800's the Watchung area drew many wealthy families from the New York City area. As this happened many mansions began to spring up on the ridges of the mountains. Today it continues to be home to the comfortable because of the proximity to the city.
Watchung Borough is a serene beautiful residential community. It has scenic landscape plus views of the city from many of the ridges. The borough of Watchung is in the eastern Somerset County and borders on Union County.
LAND AREA: 6.2 (square miles approximately)POPULATION: 5,110 (approximately
© 2001-2017 Reliance Network and RE/MAX of New Jersey.
All rights reserved. US Reg. Copyright TX-5-910-991, TX-5-910-992, TX-5-910-993, and TX-5-910-994.
Each RE/MAX® Office is Independently Owned and Operated. Equal Housing Opportunity.